I always look forward those first spring vegetables, but I have to tell you it is those fall and winter root vegetables that I'm happiest to see! One of my favorite fall dishes is a peppery medley of parsnips, rutabaga, turnip and carrots and they're all the better if I can add a little pork to them while I cook them.
My shopping list for today was a pretty simple one.
- 10 lbs of potatoes
- pink lady apples
- dish detergent (I buy a huge refill thing and refill a little bottle for beside the sink.)
- dog food
- cat food
- baby shower gift and wrapping
- In addition to the top 9 items I bought 4 Valentine's Day cards for nieces/nephews at 50 cents each, a spoon rest, and a bag of discounted peppermint sticks. We also bought 5 large puzzle books to replace the puzzle books we finished during the first semester of school -- for $2 each. Found socks on sale and came home with 3 pairs for $5.94. (Socks are on my look for list -- waiting for good prices kind of thing.)
Since we had to be in town for an orthodontist appointment I crammed as many errands in as I could.
- I dropped off payroll checks to a client. I was going right past their office and that saved postage.
- I dropped off a few things at the post office, which was right next door to the client's office.
- I picked up the above items at two different stores.
- I went to the credit union to open a separate savings account.
- I dropped off donations to Salvation Army.
Daughter and I did eat lunch in town -- a planned splurge because often after an orthodontist appointment her mouth hurts to bad to eat supper and this tore $20 all to pieces.
I'm happy to say I had the foresight to put pork chops (with barbecue sauce) on in the crockpot this morning so we came home to an almost done supper. Side dishes will be simple and probably from the can kind of veggies.